Make your favorite Chinese take-out at home with this healthier Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe that is free of sugar and soy, yet bursting in flavor!
Many many moons ago I settled on the idea that if I wanted to eat my favorite Asian/ Chinese recipes I better make them at home. As much as I loved eating something that was outside of my specialty boundaries because it felt like a treat, the aftermath of such soy indulging meal begun to greatly affect my health and therefore overpower the joy of said meal.
For this reason I started venturing with my favorite recipes like this Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry recipe, this Instant Pot Quinoa Fried Rice which according to my kids is surprisingly delicious, or this Asian Salmon recipe. What I quickly learned was that…
- I didn’t need a long list of ingredients and specialty sauces that would never be use again.
- Coconut aminos has the same exact taste as soy, but it is 100% soy-free!
- You can keep the list of ingredients pretty short and yet achieve the same results.
…Exactly as you see on this photo above. Pretty simple, right?
Besides the ingredients you see, I may also use honey to balance against the acidity of the coconut aminos and also to serve as a thickening agent, and ginger to brighten up the flavors. However, more often than not I keep it simple and easy.
This Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry recipe comes together fairly quickly. I often make this on a weeknight, when I am pressed with time and want the kids to eat real good. Let’s face it, that’s 99% of the time haha.
how to make the perfect beef stir fry
Start by heating the toasted sesame oil in a medium/ large skillet. I highly recommend the sesame oil because it deepens the flavor and I promise you are going to use it all by making this recipe many times over. I am linking here the brand I use but any brand will work.
Then you add the garlic and beef and sauté slightly, still on high heat, until meat start to brown but not fully cooked.
Add in the coconut aminos and honey if using any. Season with salt and pepper and give it a a quick stir to coat the meat and then add broccoli. Turn heat down to medium and allow beef to fully cook, stirring often in between.
As you turn the beef, make sure to move the broccoli down closer to the heat source. Don’t worry the broccoli will cook just fine!
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 lb sirloin or flank steak, cubed
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp honey (optional)
- In a medium sized skillet heat sesame oil. When hot add in garlic and beef and saute for abonut 4-5 minutes. The meat will start to brown but not quite cooked yet.
- Add broccoli and coconut aminos. You may add honey at this time, if you are using any. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10-12 minutes on medium heat or until beef is cooked through and broccoli has soften.
- Serve with white rice.