Learn how to cook Classic Instant Pot Roast Beef (Pressure Cooker Roast Beef) – Buttery Tender Medium Rare Beef Roast with Gravy or Deli-style Cold Cut Roast Beef. Deliciously great for British Sunday Supper, entertaining guests, holiday celebrations, or just because!
Roast Beef is so easy to make in a few steps, minimal preparation with simple ingredients. It works for weeknight meals, yet fancy enough for special occasions and holiday feasts!
Many readers have asked if it’s even possible to cook a delicious Roast Beef in the Instant Pot (especially those who may not have an oven, or wants an alternative method that won’t heat up the house). Let alone a beautiful Medium Rare Buttery Tender Juicy Beef Roast.
How? How can we cook the best Instant Pot Roast Beef, without roasting the beef roast in the oven?
We tested our Roast Beef Recipe with eye of round roast (cheaper cut) and top sirloin roast (mid price cut) in the Instant Pot. The results were very promising and this method will work for higher end cuts as well
Super buttery rich medium rare roast beef dipped into umami-savory-beefy gravy, each bite bursts with beefy juice – oh sooooo delish~
*Note: This method of cooking roast beef in Instant Pot works great if you’re cooking a small roast.
Here are the Instant Pot Beef Roast Experiment Results:
Which Cut of Beef to Use? Round of Eye Roast is great for making deli-style cold cut roast beef, while Top Sirloin Roast is great for making medium-rare steak-size sliced roast beef.
*Pro Tip: Beef cuts such as chuck roast with tough connective tissue will not be optimal for this Instant pot Roast Beef Recipe.
Instant Pot Roast Beef
- 2.5 - 3 pounds beef (Eye of Round or Top Sirloin) , 2.5 inches thick
- 6 cloves (26g) garlic , minced
- 1 (262g) onion , sliced
- 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken stock or high-quality unsalted beef stock
- 1 - 2 tablespoons (15ml - 30ml) regular soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 2 (0.5g) bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon (0.3g) dried rosemary
- Brown Beef Roast in Instant Pot: Press "Saute" button to "Sauté More" to heat up Instant Pot. Wait until it says "HOT" (~8 mins). Add 1 tbsp olive oil (15ml) in Instant Pot. Ensure the whole bottom is coated with oil.
*Note: A beef roast has 6 sides, and we are only browning 4 sides excluding both ends.
Pat dry the beef with a paper towel. Generously season one side of the beef with kosher salt and black pepper. Place the beef roast in Instant Pot (seasoned side face down), then brown for 4 mins. Generously season the other side with salt and black pepper, then brown this side for 3 mins and 30 secs. Finally, brown the other 2 sides for 2 mins and 30 secs (no need to add more seasoning). Set aside the browned beef roast.
- Saute Onion and Garlic: Add 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil in Instant Pot. Add in sliced onions, then saute for 3 mins. Add in 2 bay leaves, ¼ tsp (0.3g) dried rosemary, and minced garlic, then saute for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Deglaze Instant Pot: Pour 1 cup (250ml) unsalted chicken/beef stock in Instant Pot, then deglaze by scrubbing all the flavorful brown bits off the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Give it a quick mix.
- Pressure Cook Roast Beef: Add in 1 tbsp (15ml) regular soy sauce. Give it a quick mix. Place steamer rack in Instant Pot, then layer the browned beef on the steamer rack. Close lid, then turn Venting Knob to Sealing position.
For 2.5" Thick Beef: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes + 25 minutes Natural Release
For 3.25" Thick Beef: Pressure Cook at High Pressure for 3 minutes + 30 minutes Natural Release
Open the lid, then measure the temperature of the roast's thickest part with a meat thermometer.
*Pro Tip: For medium-rare roast beef, aim for 120°F. If the temperature is too low, place the roast beef back in Instant Pot on the trivet, then close the lid. Use the "Keep Warm" mode to continue to slow roast the beef. The temperature should rise 7°F - 10°F per 5 minutes.
*Note: The thicker your beef roast, the longer it takes for your roast beef to reach the desired temperature. Keep checking the temperature every 5 - 10 minutes depending on the size of your roast.
- Make Roast Beef Gravy: Once the roast beef has reached 120°F, remove and set aside on a chopping board. Loosely wrap the roast beef with aluminum foil & let it rest for 8 - 10 minutes.
While the roast beef is resting, bring the beef sauce to a simmering with “Saute” function. Taste the gravy and decide if you need to add another tbsp of soy sauce or not.
Mix 1.5 tbsp (12g) all-purpose flour with 3 tbsp (45ml) water. Mix flour mixture into the beef gravy one third at a time until desired thickness. Taste and adjust seasoning with more salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Serve Roast Beef: After resting, slice your roast beef against the grain.
For Round of Eye Roast: slice it as thin as you can (deli-style roast beef).
For Top Sirloin Roast: slice it into steak size.
Serve this classic Instant Pot Roast Beef and Gravy with your favorite side dishes. Enjoy~